Correction of examinations by optical mark recognition
The Computing Service offers to the university teachers a system for the correction of test exams by optical reading based on a reading machine of optical marks and a specific software developed by the staff of the Service.
It is not necessary the presence of the teacher while the exam is corrected, it is enough to submit the forms and, as soon as possible, the results will be sent to you by email.
The forms used allows you to prepare exams of up to 125 questions with up to six alternative answers (A ... F) in each question, ten different modalities (0 ... 9) and allows you to identify up to one hundred groups of students (0 ... 99).
The results will be sent both in Adobe PDF format and in MS Excel by email to the specified address. Optionally, at the teacher's request, the results printed on paper can be obtained.
The forms used are acquired in the Service's secretariat.
The program allows to apply a penalty for a failed question as well as for an unanswered question. It also allows to establish the maximum note on which the calculation is made, and indicate the % of successful answers net (once subtracted the failures and / or not answered, if applicable) to place the approved (read 5). The results can be grouped, either according to what the students have indicated in the group box of the sheets, or according to the professor's grouped forms. It does not admit multiple answers, in case of detecting more than one mark in a response it will proceed to erase all the existing marks in that answer.
If after correction the faculty needs to vary the correction criteria, they can do it directly on the Excel file that is sent to them by email (see help). However, if you prefer, you can request a new correction by email or telephone to the Computing Service to recalculate the note with criteria different from those initially established without having to read the forms again and modify the correct answers read on the sheets Pattern.
Examinations to correction will not be accepted in which the result of the same can not be done automatically by the program. In this way, blocks of optional answer questions can not be established (i.e. the student only has to answer 30 questions out of 50 possible), add a fixed amount to all the notes, establish groups of questions with different value or weight on the final grade or make calculations between several exams (means, relation of not presented, etc.)
The professor, or, as the case may be, the court will provide at the time of delivering the exams for correction:
- Your name, the name of the subject or identification of the exam, the correction criteria and an email address, or several, where to send the results.
- A standard sheet with the correct answers for each modality and / or group indicating it on each sheet in the corresponding boxes.
- In case there were different groups and the correct answers of each modality were common for all groups, it would be enough to provide a standard sheet for each modality without indicating the group.
- In each standard sheet provided, the DNI will be marked with eight zeros and the group and modality boxes with their corresponding mark as appropriate.
- If there is a question to be canceled, all the boxes of the corresponding question will be left blank on each master sheet.
If an exam is divided into groups and / or modalities but only a standard sheet is provided, the result of the reading will be reconverted to what is specified on the master sheet, that is, the completed by the examinee will be ignored, being assigned the group / modality that appears on the master sheet.
The forms completed by the students for their evaluation.
Tips for filling out the exam sheets
- It will be completed following the instructions that appear on the answer sheet, with pencil number 2 (HB) or with black or blue pen or marker. The IT Service is not responsible for reading forms in which a marker other than the one specified was used. The boxes will be marked filling the inside of the box completely. The reading of marks that do not meet this requirement is not guaranteed (crosses, circles, underlines, etc.)
- Please, observ the maximum neatness in the forms avoiding blots, stains, dirt and eraser residues as well as folds in the paper.
- Unwanted marks must be removed completely using an appropriate eraser or correction tape. Although the reader has established a minimum mark intensity threshold to interpret it as such, faint marks can be considered as valid options. For the cases of rectification of the alternative response, the reader will choose the option that presents a higher intensity index of the light reflection, although sometimes an incorrect erasure causes a light reflection intensity greater than in the response valid for the examinee.
- Students will be identified by their spanish ID or Resident Card. The procedure to fill in the corresponding boxes is the following: any non-numeric character will be eliminated (such as the letter of the DNI or the initial and final letter of the resident card) and will be completed with zeros on the left until completing 8 digits. The resulting number will be moved to the boxes for this purpose, moving the first digit from the left to the upper box and successively so that the eighth digit occupies the lower box.
- Although the boxes for the student's name and surnames are not read by the machine, it is convenient that these boxes are filled in clearly in case there is any problem with the coded identification.
If you have any questions or suggestions, please contact us by email at the address email@example.com or in the telephone extension 3500.